Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A warming meal


When it's grey & rainy, I just want to curl up with a good book & sweatshirt. And since most evenings recently have ended in storms, I've been craving soup (warming) for dinner.

I had an abundance of sweet potatoes and squash this week, so I decided to make a sweet potato-squash-curry soup last night. I know what you're thinking, summer squash in soup? I wasn't sure how it would turn out either. But it didn't disappoint.

Small yellow onion
jalapeno
garlic, minced, 2 cloves
olive oil, 4 tbsp
curry powder
ginger
sweet potatoes, 2 large, cubed
1 zucchini, sliced
1 squash, sliced
cilantro
coconut oil (4 tbsp)
red curry paste (1 tbsp)
lemon/lime juice (1/2 or to taste)

Saute onion, ginger, jalapeno, garlic, curry powder in the olive oil. Toss the sweet potatoes into the pot with 3 cups water or enough to cover the potatoes, bring to a boil & cover. After 15 minutes toss in the squash, another cup of water, and put the lid back on. After all the vegetables are tender (~10 minutes), remove the pot from heat. Add the cilantro and puree or blend the soup (I used hand immersion blender). Next melt the coconut oil over medium heat, add the red curry paste, and pour into the hot soup. Finally add lemon and/or lime juice, garnish with cilantro and pumpkin seeds.

Serve with hunks of freshly baked bread or served over a quinoa pilaf for a hearty warming meal (would be great on a cold day or for those of us who enjoy a warming meal).

*Added the coconut oil to provide a nice depth to the soup.

2 comments:

erin said...

sounds delicious. soup is my favorite thing to make in the fall and winter. so very deeply satisfying!

mina said...

This sounds soo good! I think I'll give it a try this week. Love your blog!