Monday, September 28, 2009

Edamame Salad


Last week I received a box of fresh edamame from my Papa Spuds box. I was elated. Sure, I've had edamame before, but it usually arrives on my table at a restaurant or from the frozen section at Whole Foods.

I boiled a small bunch, shelled them, and sprinkled the beans with celtic salt and lemon. I stood in the kitchen popping the beans one by one in my mouth. So simple and satisfying.

The next night I decided to make a bean salad. I boiled the rest of the beans, shelled and put them in a bowl. I diced up a red bell pepper and a shallot, adding them to the beans. Next I mixed sesame oil, rice vinegar, lemon, Eden shake*, and a dash of agave nectar together. I added the dressing and let it marinate overnight. I ate the edamame salad on a bed of red leaf lettuce, radishes**, carrots, cilantro and parsley for lunch the following day.

Edamame contain lecithin, which emulsifies bile so it isn't too toxic. Bile is made in the liver, and stored in the gall bladder. Edamame helps keep these vital organs healthy.1

1 (Bauman 2009, NE102, Audio)
*An easy, delicious way to add seaweed to the diet
** A great tonic for the kidneys.

1 comment:

Sarah @ Two Blue Lemons said...

I recently spied a big bouquet of edamame at my farmers market as well! What a beautiful surprise! I love your notes on why edamame is so healthful, yummm.