Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What can I make with summer squash?

As a kid, I remember every summer when our neighbor's garden was overflowing with squash. My mom would bread squash slices in cornmeal and lightly fry them until golden. We would eat the squash with juicy tomato slices, green beans, german potato salad, and pickled cucumbers. I loved those dinners. You could taste how the hot summer sun had ripened those vegetables.

When I was at the farmer's market this weekend, I picked up a few varieties of squash. I asked the farmer what she did with her squash. She told me to eat the patty pan squashes raw in salads. She also likes to lightly saute the squash with onion, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and mint. What do you do with your summer squash?

A few ideas of what to do with summer squash:
• Dip sliced squash in peanut sauce as a snack (see above).
• This squash torte. Try it with manchego cheese and tomato slices.
• Zucchini carpaccio
• Roast with chickpeas
• Top homemade pizza with pesto, zucchini, squash, and cheese.
• Zucchini cupcakes
• Summer soup

3 comments:

Sara Logan Photo said...

Thanks for the great ideas, A.! I've been struggling with what do with all the squash the grandparents have been sending me :)

jenious said...

I take the "less is more" approach with summer squash. Sometimes I simply saute slices in butter. Most often, I like to bake slices with butter, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes and bread crumbs. And, when we had a grill, I adored them grilled with a light coating of olive oil and salt and pepper. I think that's all...:)

Mike said...

Squash in ox tail soup. That would be heaven.