Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The veggie stack

Monday night I grabbed all the veggies I had and put them on the counter. Squash, zucchini, onions, eggplant, and tomatoes. I decided to make a vegetable bake.

I preheated the oven to 350. I sliced up the eggplant, sprinkled with salt, and let it sit in a colander. Then I sliced the zucchini, squash, and juicy tomatoes. I diced an onion and several garlic cloves. I grabbed fresh basil, parsley, and thyme from my porch. I grabbed a round ceramic dish and put a layer of eggplant on the bottom, followed by a layer of squash, zucchini, and tomato until I filled it up. I sprinkled a little onion, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper on each layer. I drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, covered with foil, and baked for 30 minutes. I removed it from the oven after 30 minutes, sprinkled with gruyere cheese, and baked uncovered for another 10 minutes or so.

I was surprised at how tasty and easy this dish was. The leftovers would be perfect on a sandwich or diced up and mixed in with quinoa. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Merissa Revestir said...

This looks and sounds great :) yum-o

Mike said...

They does look really yummy. You just need some more protein in there.