Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sundried tomato + swiss chard scramble

I thought I'd share the breakfast I made on Sunday. You can add this to the list of breakfast ideas. We grabbed coffee and decided to go for a brisk walk in the chilly morning air. When we got home I was ready for a hot and hearty breakfast.

I had picked up green onions, garlic and a bushel of swiss chard at the market on Saturday. And I had soaked some sundried tomatoes the night before. I also had a bit of pecorino that seemed ready to be eaten.

Swiss chard & sundried tomato scramble
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 green onions, diced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 sundried tomatoes, chopped
2 large swiss chard, cut in thin ribbons
1 egg
1 tbsp water or cream (milk works too)
1/4 c cilantro
pecorino to garnish
sea salt + pepper to taste

Heat coconut oil over medium heat. When warm add the onions. Let cook for a few minutes, then add the garlic, sundried tomato and swiss chard. Cook for about five minutes or when the greens are done. Don't forget to stir. Sometimes I add a little water to help steam the greens a bit. While the greens are cooking, crack an egg into a separate bowl. Add the water, cilantro, salt and pepper. Whisk egg mixture together, then add to the pan (when greens are done cooking). Stir the mixture into the greens. After a few minutes, you're scramble should be done. Garnish with pecoroni or another cheese on hand (or not). Enjoy this scramble with whole wheat toast or inside a wheat wrap along side a fruit salad.

2 comments:

tiina { sparkling ink } said...

Lovely! Love breakfast recipes, any time of the day!

Unknown said...

Exactly! I love breakfast for dinner :)