Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Snack on this: Coconut carrot soup

I awoke to grey skies and rain this morning. I actually enjoy days like today. I know some can't stand it. Maybe it was because I was born on a rainy Sunday morning or that I studied abroad in London in the grey, cold winter. One thing is for certain, when the weather is like this, I want something comforting to eat.

I saw this simple, vegan soup and wanted to share it with you. I've made similar recipes with carrots and sweet potatoes before. This soup is really versatile and simple to make.

Soup as a snack? Yep, that's right. Instead of reaching for an afternoon cookie or bag of chips, pack a soup to enjoy instead. Soups are a great way to get more vegetables into your diet. They're yummy and packed full of essential vitamins and minerals.

Coconut Carrot Soup
Adapted from Culinate
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp, freshly grated ginger
1 tsp garam marsala (optional)
1 tsp curry powder (optional)
Dash of sea salt and pepper
4 large carrots, chopped
1 can of coconut milk (unsweetened)
1 c water 
2 tbsp lemon juice
Plain yogurt & cilantro to garnish

Heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion, cook until translucent. Add garlic, ginger and spices. Stir, cooking until you can smell the spices. Add the carrots, coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil. Simmer for another 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Move to a blender or use an immersion blender straight in the pot. Be careful with the hot liquid! Blend well. Add the lemon juice and garnish with yogurt and cilantro.

3 comments:

ali said...

yum. I think I'm going to make this on the weekend.

Unknown said...

I hope you do Ali! Have a great weekend :)

Maria said...

I have a coconut soup recipe in mind I want to try, this version sounds so delicious too!