Monday, November 10, 2008

fall is here.





I woke up Saturday morning to a light rain. It didn't last too long but it was great. Rain makes me slow down which is something I need. I took a trip to the farmer's market in the afternoon, and returned with bags of root vegetables; turnips, greens, and butternut squash. 

I love collard greens. I guess you could say its because I'm from the south. But actually its the apple cider vinegar. Other kids loved sweets, but I loved vinegar. Maybe it was the spoonful of mustard my grandmother told me to eat each day or the vinegar-based coleslaw she still makes me each time I come home. Whatever it is, I loved the apple cider vinegar poured over a heap of warm collard greens. I was delighted to find an abundance at the market. I've never made greens on my own, but was excited to try. I scanned through 'Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone' for inspiration and reminisced about my 
mom's recipe. I think I did pretty 
well.

Collard Greens - Simple & southern
Wash collards. Cut & discard stems.
Bring a large pot of water to boil, enough to cover greens. 
Place collards in, uncovered.
Cook 15-30 minutes, depending on the amount and how you like them.
Remove from heat. Chop coarsely, toss with olive oil, a generous amount of salt and pepper, a shake of red chili flakes, and a drizzle of apple cider vinegar. 

Mmmm delicious. 
*Sorry I dont have any after photos of collards, but no worries I'll be cooking more this week. 

No comments: