Sunday, May 31, 2009

And the winner is...


Roasted beets! I'm a sucker for simple meals with few ingredients. 

After an afternoon of errands and a rumbling stomach, I decided to roast the beets. I scrubbed the beets, drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper, and wrapped them up in foil. I put them in the oven to roast for almost an hour.

While I waited, I enjoyed a simple Greek-style salad: a bed of red leaf lettuce, carrots, celery, Chapel Hill Creamery pheta cheese (they spell it pheta, not feta), garlic flowers and tahini dressing. Delicious.

After the house started to smell of cooked beets, I pulled them out of the oven, and sliced them. Their peel seemed to slip right off. They tasted great hot out of the oven (let them cool first!). 

I decided to try a slice with a squeeze of lemon juice & a dusting of curry powder. I ended up eating several more slices the same way. 

I think the best way to eat beets is your own personal preference. Some would probably prefer the beet flavor to be more subtle versus eating them plain. I think they would taste great with the orange glaze Anthony* had mentioned. I think I might try something similar to this next. I'm overflowing with sorrel right now. 

*see his comments from the earlier beet post.

1 comment:

Maggie May said...

I just stumbled here and now I'm starving! :)