Saturday, April 3, 2010

Food for the road

I drove six hours last Monday morning to Athens, Georgia. I ate breakfast at home, grabbed a coffee, packed my lunch, and hit the road. Yes, I packed my lunch to eat in the car.

Road trip food options–fast food restaurants and convenient stores–are very limiting for a health-conscious vegetarian. I bring fruit and nuts to snack on during short road trips. When we drive to the beach for a day, I pack a cooler of cut up vegetables, hummus, pitas, fruit and water. But if I didn't have time to pack anything for a long road trip, I'll stop somewhere for a sandwich.

Sunday night I decided to make this to take with me in the car.

Edamame rice salad, to go
Serves 2
1.5 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup cooked edamame
1.5 tbsp sesame oil
1 shallot, minced
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp ume plum vinegar
1 tbsp rice vinegar
3 tbsp parsley
Black pepper

Mix the oil, shallot, lemon juice, vinegars, parsley, and pepper in a small bowl. Then add to the rice and edamame mixture. Enjoy warm or cold.

I ate this somewhere between South Carolina and Georgia at a rest stop. I also packed walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and raisins to snack on.

What do you do when you travel? Do you pack snacks or meals to keep you from stopping at fast food restaurants?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious, Adrienne. I need to try it, because I always eat like crap whenever I travel.

Unknown said...

I too eat like crap when I travel. I like your hummus and pita idea, i will have to try that.

gabrielle said...

This dish looks and sounds delicious! We often pack sandwiches, but that gets old after a while. :) It will be nice to give some new road food a test drive.

G. Robichaud said...

Just had some of that rice salad. Awesome.

Unknown said...

Glad you liked it G!

Jacqui said...

We would travel well together! I am always packing my lunch and bringing snacks with me for the road, actually pretty much everywhere. This sounds delicious and perfect for a quick trip!