Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Warm dinner on a chilly night


A warm plate of kale, sun-dried tomatoes, and white beans is perfect for a chilly winter evening. Stay warm!

Navy beans with sun-dried tomatoes
2 c cooked navy beans* (or your favorite white bean)
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 shallot, diced
2 garlic cloves
3 c kale, rinsed and chopped
several sun-dried tomatoes, soaked and chopped
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
dash of sea salt
sprinkle of manchego cheese (optional)
*I soaked the beans overnight and cooked them the next morning. 


Heat oil over medium heat, add shallot, stirring. When the shallot starts to brown, add the beans. When the beans are warm, add the kale and garlic. Stir frequently. Add a little water if the garlic or beans start sticking to the pan. When the kale has started to wilt, add the spices, and remove from heat. Finish with manchego cheese.

7 comments:

Roxy Te said...

This looks far healthier than what we are having for dinner. But I must say, I'm pretty proud of Alan for making me pasta bolognese with morningstar soy crumbles instead of ground beef ;)

Anonymous said...

I love this combination. The addition of the sun dried tomatoes have peaked my interest! I can't wait to try this!

Unknown said...

I hear you Rox. Josh made us some tasty veggie pesto pizza the other night.

Glad you like the combination. Sun-dried tomatoes have an earthy robust flavor that I enjoy in the winter, especially since tomatoes are out of season.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sounds so good. I am new to your blog and have spent some time browsing your earlier posts. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

Thanks Mary!

Sarah B said...

Hey Adrienne!

This looks yummy - almost like what I had last night in fact :) I think the addition of sun-dried tomatoes would be sooooo good though. Thanks for the inspiration - always!

Best, Sarah B

Roxy Te said...

A, I have this pulled up again because I'm currently making it for dinner :) hope it turns out as tasty as yours!