Friday, March 30, 2012

Leftover loaf pan frittata


Need a last minute dinner idea? Looking for a way to use up those leftover sautéed greens or roasted potatoes? Well this recipe is for you. There's little to no prep involved. And this dinner will disguise those leftovers, making them fancier than they actually are.

Usually a frittata starts in a cast iron pan on the stove top and moves into the oven to finish cooking, but not this frittata. This frittata saves you time. There's no fussing with a cast iron pan. The ingredients are added to a loaf pan, and into the oven it goes. Wash those dishes, clean the kitchen, or make this side dish as it bakes.
Feel free to get creative here. Add some fresh herbs, feta, or roasted vegetables instead. Dial back the leftovers, if you'd like more egg-to-vegetable ratio.

Leftover loaf pan frittata
Serves 4 
5 or 6 eggs
1/4 c. rice milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cracked pepper
1/2 c. caramelized onion
1/2 c. roasted sweet potato, diced
1/2 c sautéed kale with garlic and red pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Crack the eggs in a bowl, add the rice milk, salt, pepper, and whisk until combined. Pour into a non-stick or oiled loaf pan. Grab a handful of your leftovers (in my case onions), spreading evenly throughout the egg mixture in the pan. Repeat with the remainder of your leftovers. Put the loaf pan into the oven. Cook for 25 minutes or until the egg is set (or a paring knife comes out clean when you stick it in the middle).

Enjoy a large slice for breakfast or dinner with a side of salad and toast.

And yes I've hijacked today's Friday Favorites post to share this recipe with you. Don't worry Friday Favorites with resume next week!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I always buy too much vegetables for my own good and hate wasting food, so I always stir fry them. Now I'm glad to find another way to take care of my not so fresh veggies. Nice chart!

Laura said...

LOVING that graphic! Super cool. My mum always makes frittata like this. So easy and yummy.

Amrita said...

Stumbled onto your blog and loving it already!

The frittata looks great...eggs have always been kind-hearted leftover-savers, haven't they?

sara said...

do you think i could use almond milk for the frittata?

Mike said...

I don't brother to wash my vegetables. I just cook them and that takes care of the gems.

ZDubb said...

I looked all over minceandtype for this recipe. I'm so happy I found it again!