Sunday, May 3, 2009

Look at those yolks!


I've never been a big mayonaise fan. I blame it on my mom for piling too much on my bologna, cheese & white bread sandwiches as a kid. There are only a few things that I like it on: tomato sandwiches with a generous amount of salt & pepper in the heat of summer and egg salad. I only remember my mom making egg salad a handful of times, but I always loved those simple meals. 

Last weekend on the farm tour, I purchased eggs straight from the farmer herself. She had beautiful heritage birds speckled with black and white feathers. I've never considered chickens beautiful until I saw her chickens.  I realized I know nothing about chickens. She had multiple hen houses and used the birds to fertilize, eat bugs & sell their eggs. These magnificent creatures produce the best eggs I've ever tasted. Look at those deep yellow-orange yolks! So I decided to make an egg salad this weekend.

I received Alice Water's The Art of Simple Food for my birthday and found a recipe for homemade mayonaise and decided to give it a try. Egg yolk and olive oil, what could be easier?

Egg salad
6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled & chopped
1/3 cup Homemade mayo
3 tsp capers
2 tbsp dill
1 tsp curry powder
splash of red wine vinegar
splash of lemon juice
salt & pepper

Delicious spread over toast with tomatoes for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Perfect protein after long run or work out.

No comments: