Sunday, January 17, 2010

Theda's coleslaw

2010. It didn't start out quite like I hoped. My grandmother was rushed to intensive care on the 1st and passed away on the 8th.

My grandmother, Theda, was a nurse for many years and loved helping people. She volunteered her time at church and different organizations. She was a very active lady and ate healthy. She often reminded (sometimes scolded) the family to take vitamins daily, exercise frequently, and eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. A ziplock bag of carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, or apple slices resided in the refrigerator door for easy snacking.

Six months ago, I enrolled in an online holistic nutrition education course. I want to educate people to live healthier by making better food choices, managing stress, and exercising more. Only after she passed, did I realize how much she had influenced my decision in pursuing my passion for nutrition.
















My first recipe for 2010 is one of my grandmother's favorites. She would always make this dish for me when I was home. It's a great alternative to mayonaise rich coleslaw.

Theda's Coleslaw
1/2 head of Green cabbage, finely shredded
1 Green bell pepper, diced
1/8 c Sugar (I used about 4 tbsp honey)
1/4 c Raw cider vinegar
1 tsp Celtic salt
1 tsp Pepper

Mix cabbage and bell pepper into a bowl. Mix sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper into a smaller bowl until sugar dissolves. Mix wet ingredients with cabbage mixture. Refrigerate overnight.

I garnished mine with cilantro. Enjoy this coleslaw as a side dish or on top of a veggie burger.


4 comments:

erin said...

a lovely tribute to your grandmother. thinking of you!

Unknown said...

thanks Erin!

Unknown said...

This is simply beautiful! Sorry for your loss.



Kristen
www.flexyfare.com

natural selection said...

As a child I knew almost nothing, nothing beyond what I had picked up in my grandmother's house. All children, I suppose, come into the world like that, not knowing who they are.
- V. S. Naipaul
Please accept my condolences
A