Saturday, May 29, 2010

Cabbage Delight

I scanned the fridge looking for what to make for dinner last night. I spied leftover chickpeas, cumin scented brown rice, a few kale leaves, and a head of cabbage. I decided to make a spicy cabbage stir fry. I always forget how much I like cooked cabbage. Don't get me wrong, I love raw cabbage salads and slaws. But there's something comforting (and yummy) about the way cooking changes the texture and intensifies the flavor of cabbage.

Cabbage is part of the cruciferous family, which also includes broccoli, kale, and cauliflower. These vegetables are cancer-fighting superfoods. The phytonutrients act as antioxidants to fight against free radical cells before they cause harm to the body. Cabbage is also an excellent source of vitamin C.

Cabbage Delight
Makes 1-2 servings
1 tbsp minced jalepeno
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 c green cabbage, shredded
2 kale leaves, shredded
1-2 tsp Bragg's aminos (or tamari or soy sauce)

I added sesame oil to the pan and turned up the heat. I threw in jalepeno, let it cook a few minutes, before adding the cabbage and kale. The high heat will cook the cabbage quickly, so make sure to watch it. When the cabbage mixture cooks down a bit, add a dash of Bragg's aminos (tamari or soy sauce).  Cook a few more minutes, and remove from heat.

I enjoyed this over a bowl of chilled brown rice and chickpeas with a splash of brown rice vinegar. Boost your phytonutrient intake by adding a bit of cabbage to your salads, stir fries, curries or like this.

Source: whfoods.org

No comments: