Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Black Bean spread


I got up early Sunday morning and started cooking. I soaked black beans overnight and decided to make a hummus or some sort of dip out of them. I cooked them for about an hour, until they were tender, and drained them. Then I ground up cumin seeds and salt in the mortar & pestle. I chopped cilantro and leftover chipotle peppers. Little by little, I mashed the beans in the mortar & pestle with the cumin, salt, chipotle peppers, cilantro, lime juice and avocado oil. Then I pureed batches with my hand immersion blender. 

Soaking black beans creates a lovely purple tint to the water, but mashing them creates a greyish-brown color. It might not be the prettiest food, but its easy-to-make & delicious. Also its a healthy alternative to processed, sugar-laden dips and spreads.  

*It ended up more like a spread versus hummus. It would be great spread onto a spinach wrap or toast topped with veggies for a simple, tasty lunch. I loved it with carrots!

No comments: