Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Strawberries for dessert and lunch

Sunday night I was craving a warm, comforting dessert. I looked in the refrigerator. Hmmm, strawberries. I wanted some lighter than a buttery cobbler, but something heavier than just fruit. I decided to make a strawberry crisp. I pulled out a ramekin, filled it with sliced strawberries and topping. The topping consisted of oats, maple syrup, walnut oil, candied ginger, shredded coconut, and cinnamon. I popped it into the oven for 10-15 minutes (or until the oats were brown), and out popped a delicious, dairy-free dessert. Yes, I ate half of it before I could photograph it.

Ramekins are a great investment. You can use them for breakfast dishes or personalized desserts. You don't have to worry about wasting leftovers.

I didn't measure the ingredients this time around. You could substitute coconut oil for the walnut oil or honey for the maple syrup. This would also taste delicious with other berries throughout the summer.

But don't forget, strawberries aren't just for dessert. My lunch today included a salad of bibb lettuce, goat cheese, strawberries, walnuts, and balsamic vinaigrette. You could also try another salad or a strawberry gazpacho.
How are you enjoying your strawberries this season?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh how pretty and yummy at the same time.