Monday, June 11, 2012

Baked basil-chard falafel

This week's Food Matters Project recipe is chickpea fritters with vegetables. See the original recipe hosted by Lena and check out what others made here. Instead of frying chickpeas into fritters, I decided to make a baked falafel.
When I decided on falafel, I immediately remembered this recipe that I had bookmarked last summer. These baked green falafel look much better than their popular fried brown cousins. Don't get me wrong I love fried falafel too, but these are much lighter, healthier, and perfect for summer. I added chard, basil, parsley, and pistachio not only for flavor, but also to add that green tint to my falafel (not to mention that's what I had in the fridge).
Make these for that next potluck and impress your friends. Gluten free and dairy free, you'll make everyone happy.

Baked basil-chard falafel
Adapted from The Food Matters Cookbook & Green Kitchen Stories
2 c chickpeas, soaked overnight (not cooked)
1/2 red onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp ginger, ground
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 swiss chard leaf
1 small bunch of basil, about a cup loosely packed
1/4 c parsley
2 tbsp pistachios
1 tbsp lime juice

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Put the chickpeas into the food processor. Process until they break up and form a chunky paste. Add the remaining ingredients and process for about a minute. The mixture should be dry, not wet. If it's too wet, add more chickpeas, chickpea flour, or pistachios. Scoop up the mixture with a spoon, rolling into a ball about an inch wide (or smaller, if you want more). Repeat with the remaining chickpea mixture. Put on the baking sheet.

Bake for 25-30 minutes. The bottoms of the falafel should be nice and golden.

Makes about 14-1inch round falafels or more if you make them smaller. Serve with tahini-yogurt or a raita for a nice dipping in sauce. Toss a few falafel into a pita (or into a lettuce leaf for a gluten free option) with veggies and dip for a quick, healthy lunch on-the-go.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Did the soaking method work well? I decided to go with the safe route of cooking the chickpeas, but if just soaking them long enough works fine, that'd be great, too.
Your falafel sounds delicious, I love pistachios.

Unknown said...

Yeah soaking worked perfectly. I was hesitant at first too, but after a little research I found lots of recipes that used the same method.

Erin said...

Nice! I made falafel based on the Green Kitchen Stories recipe a while back and loved it. Yours look delicious. It's amazing how much good stuff you can pack into a falafel!

Lesley said...

i have SO much chard. this would make a perfect recipe to use it up.

Unknown said...

Oooh! I like this baking method... so much less oil but still keeps it intact. I wish I had a food processor to chop things with, my blender just does not cut it.

Unknown said...

These look amazing Adrienne! Love it!!

Eileen said...

Ooh, delicious! I love how GREEN they are too. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the green colour of it! Nice job.

Jacqui said...

Oh yum! I was planning on making some falafel type meal to pack for our busy weekend. I like this green falafel idea, they'll be perfect to pack!

Gracie said...

I hope I can try your version sometime. Thanks for sharing!

Evi said...

These look so yummy! I like the green color, definitely better- and that they are baked. I've tagged it to make it next time I have friends over.

Lexi said...

Love it!

Cookie and Kate said...

I love how green the falafel stays when it's baked instead of fried! Yours looks great!

Heidi @foodiecrush said...

I'm with you on the green makeover for falafel. Its one of my faves, but so much purdier here! Grand idea.

Mike said...

Wow are they ever green. Green means healthy to me.